Upgrade to RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Ocean
The Upgrade to RYA Yachtmaster Ocean is for the more experienced Student who is up to Coastal or Offshore standard of sailing & who may already hold the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal or Offshore Certificates of Competence, to further their Professional Yachting Career.
The RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence is the highest qualification in the RYA Cruising Scheme and this course is for the student who is serious about their Professional Yachting Career.
Yachtmaster Sailing School will ensure that you receive thorough training and a full understanding of Celestial Navigation.
Our school's twenty three years experience will ensure that you get the best training available under safe conditions and have fun doing it.
The RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence is a pre-requisite for the MCA Officer of the Watch Qualification.
This course results in the
RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence with STCW Endorsement or Commercial Endorsement
Valid for use as Master of Yachts up to 200 gt in Category 0 Waters (Unlimited Area of Operation)
with SAS Coastal Ticket as an Optional Extra
You will receive the following Certificates and
These are Included in the Course fees:
The Course Outline
Assuming you are up to Coastal or Offshore level of Competence, you can join our 11 week Upgrade to RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean on the ST Helena Adventure! which includes:
- 1 Week RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory where you will learn the intricacies of Celestial Navigation
- 1 Week Exam & Trip Preparation including boat handling, navigation and some spinnaker work preparing for the trip
- 1 Week of Preparation of the Yacht Aurora including completing your Passage Plans for the entire trip
- 2 Weeks of RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Navigational Practical sailing up the isolated West Coast of South Africa to Namibia (where you gain all the required 60 Mile passages required for RYA Yachtmaster Offshore)
- The Yachtmaster Ocean Theory continues on board covering Celestial Navigation, Ocean Weather, Weather Routing, Passage Planning and Communications, along with taking sights for your Ocean Exam with a sextant
- 4 Weeks to cover the 1000nm reach across to St Helena navigating by sextant only, a few days rest in St Helena, and then the return leg to the Cape and Table Mountain covering vast expanse of deep blue open ocean
- 2 Weeks Exam Preparation & RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Exam.
- By the time you do your RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Examination, you will be a competent and confident Yachtmaster Ocean
NOTE: If you are already hold your RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence, you would not need the last 2 Exam Preparation weeks, making it a 9 week Upgrade to RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean.
If you just want the adventure of a lifetime and are not wanting the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory, or to do any Exams, then just join us for 8 weeks on the St Helena Adventure!
You will receive Theoretical and Practical Training in
- Long Range Radio and Satellite Communications
- Passage Planning
- Ocean Weather Forecasting
- Weather Routing
- Celestial Navigation on Passage
Additional Training Weeks:
The Examiner will observe the way in which you conduct yourself as the Skipper and how you lead your Crew.
During your RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Exam you will need to demonstrate Competence and a Good Understanding of how your Boat reacts at a slow speed, Picking up a Mooring and Man Over Board, as well as your knowledge of COLREGs, Navigation and Meteorology.
The content of the RYA Day Skipper Theory & Practical and the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Theory Weeks are Vital as these are the foundation of your training and are needed to ensure that your Boat handling (including picking up a mooring and man over board) and Theoretical knowledge (including Chartwork, COLREGS and Meteorology) are up to standard in order to continue to RYA Yachtmaster Offshore.
Should you require these or any other extra training weeks, these can be completed as a tailor made program including the 11 week Upgrade and can include:
- RYA Day Skipper Theory
- RYA Day Skipper Practical or Advanced Boat Handling Practical
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Shorebased Theory
- You can include SA Sailing Coastal Skipper CoC
(a small extra cost is payable)
Pre-Exam Requirements for RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Sail Exam (You will gain all of these requirements during the St Helena Ocean Adventure):
- 50 Days Sea Time
- 5 Days as Skipper
- 2500 Nautical Miles - Half of which must be in Tidal Waters
- 5 Passages over 60nm, including 2 Overnight and 2 as the Skipper
Certification Required to take RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Sail Exam:
- A Copy of STCW 95 Elementary First Aid Certificate
- A Copy of your RYA Short Range VHF Radio Certificate
- A Copy of your RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Theory Certificate
- Logbook to Show Mileage to Examiner
STCW / Commercial Endorsement
Should you want your RYA Certificate of Competence Endorsed for work on Commercial Vessels you are required to have the following:
- The full STCW Courses:
- Competence in Security Awareness (CSA),
- Elementary First Aid at Sea (EFAAS),
- Fire Fighting (FFAS),
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility at Sea (PSSR)
- Personal Survival Techniques with Proficiency in Life Raft (PST + PILR)
- The ENG 1 Medical Examination
- RYA PPR (Professional Practices and Responsibilities) Certificate
You will receive Theoretical and Practical Training in
- Boat handling under sail and power
- Traditional Navigation
- use of Chartplotters and GPS for Navigation
- use of Radar, MARPA and AIS for Collision Avoidance
- use of Radar for Navigation
- the application of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Passage Planning
You also get Exposure to:
- Engine Maintenance
- Propellers and Shafts
- Electrical Installations for Yachts
- Plumbing Installations for Yachts
- Yacht Maintenance
- Ropes, Rope-work, Splicing and Whipping
- Spars, Rigging and Rig Tuning
- Emergency Repairs, Spares and Fittings
- Sails, Sail-making and Care of Sails
- Sail Trim
- Spinnakers & use of Full Suit of Sails
You should complete this examination well before starting the course to avoid great disappointment if you are not medically fit for duty.
This medical is not included in our course fees.
For more information on ENG1 Medical Click Here.
Sailing In or From South African Waters
RYA Qualifications are generally accepted throughout the world and are the Preferred Qualification when applying for work overseas or when chartering a boat overseas.
However South African Maritime Authority (SAMSA) do not recognise Royal Yachting Association (RYA) qualifications obtained in South Africa.
Consequently to act as Master of a Yacht in South African waters it is necessary to obtain SA Sailing Qualifications.
A SAS Coastal Skipper Certificate of competence can be obtained as part of this Course at a small additional cost for the SAS Examinations and the SAMSA VHF Radio License.
If you wish to do Commercial Work in South Africa then you will have to do a SAMSA Under 25 ton Commercial License Examination and additional STCW Courses. We can assist you in this.
18 July 2016 - (20% discount - Total Course fees R90 000)
26 September 2016 - (20% discount - Total Course fees R90 000)
05 December 2016
Should the above dates not suit you, please contact us so we can try to accommodate you in a more convenient time frame.
The 11 Week Upgrade Course Fee is:
R 9 000 - RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory
R 84 000 - St Helena Adventure!
R 21 000 - Exam Preparation weeks & RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Exam
R114 000 - Total Course Fees incl VAT (Payable to Yachtmaster Sailing School)
Included in the Course fees is:
- All your training and Certificates as listed above
- Your Personal RYA Logbook
- Use of RYA Reference Books and navigation equipment
- During the 9 Practical Live-aboard Weeks on the Yachts, your Food, Accommodation & use of Wet Weather Gear is included
Excluded & Extra Over the above fees:
- Should you need additional weeks training it is R 7 500 per week on top of the 11 Week Upgrade
- R 1 800 ENG1 Medical Examination fee payable to the Doctor
- RYA Fees are payable direct to RYA
- £ 231 GBP RYA fees for Yachtmaster Offshore Examination
- £ 173 GBP RYA fees for Yachtmaster Ocean Examination
- £ 60 GBP RYA fees for SRC Radio Certificate
- £ 33 GBP RYA fees for STCW / Commercial Endorsement
- Accommodation in Cape Town
- During the 2 Theory Weeks, 16 Nights Accommodation On-shore is required in Cape Town.
We can arrange a Backpacker at about R250 per night
Food and Transport is not included
Plus if Needed:
R 1 000 - RYA RYA (PPR) Professional Practices and Responsibilities Course (Needed to work in Industry)
R 7 900 - STCW Course (Competence in Security Awareness, Elementary First Aid, Fire Fighting, Personal Survival Techniques with Proficiency in Life Raft & Personal Safety & Social Responsibility)
R 1 800 - ENG 1 Medical Fee - Payable Directly to Dr
R 7 500 - additional training per week (RYA Day Skipper Theory/Practica/Advanced Boat handling/RYA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore Theory)
R 1 650 - RYA SRC VHF Radio Course + £ 60 GBP - RYA Fees for SRC Radio Certificate
R 1 650 - RYA Radar Course
R 1 650 - RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance Course
R 6 130 - Total extra for SAS Coastal Skipper Ticket
Acting as Master of an Ocean going Yacht
To act as the Master of a Yacht which is operating in Category 0 (unlimited) Waters it is necessary to hold the General Radio Operator's License or the Long Range Certificate with Satellite Communications Certificate and also the STCW Proficiency in Medical Care Certificate.
These qualifications are not necessary for you to gain your RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence, but they are necessary before you take charge of a yacht which is on a voyage longer than 150 miles from a safe haven.
These qualifications are not included in this course, but we can however arrange these courses for you if require them.
Terms and Conditions apply. We reserve the right to change course content, dates and prices.