8 Week RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Coastal
No Previous Experience required
There is a lot of competition for jobs in the Professional Yachting Industry and the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence is currently being considered the minimum requirement for the student starting a Professional Yachting Career or for Private Yachting.
Owners and Captains are looking for Crew who have the best qualifications, a history of satisfactory previous employment, a positive attitude, sober habits and a good clean appearance.
All else being equal it is your RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence that will help you get employment.
This course is the foundation of your Career in the Yachting Industry, and may be upgraded to RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Offshore and on to the RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Ocean qualification.
We will give you the best possible RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Course available which will help you to get employment and keep you and your vessel safe and on track.
Our instructors have over a hundred years of sailing among them and our school's twenty three years experience will ensure that you get the best training available and have fun doing it.
This course results in the
RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence with Commercial Endorsement
Valid for use as Master of Yachts up to 24m in length In Category 3 Waters (up to 20nm from a safe haven)
You will receive the following Certificates and
these are included in the Course fees:
- STCW 95
- Elementary First Aid
- Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention
- Personal Survival Techniques & Proficiency in Life Rafts
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
- Competency in Security Awareness
- RYA Powerboat Level II (Certificate of Competence)
- RYA Short Range Radio Certificate (DSC VHF)
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- RYA Radar
- RYA Competent Crew
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Theory
- RYA Day Skipper Practical
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Shorebased Theory
- RYA Coastal Skipper Practical
- You can include SA Sailing Day Skipper CoC
(a small extra cost is payable)
The Course outline
You will receive Elementary Practical Training in
- Boat handling under Sail and Power
- Traditional Navigation
- use of Chartplotters and GPS for Navigation
- use of Radar, MARPA and AIS for Collision Avoidance
- use of Radar for Navigation
- the application of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Passage Planning
- Flying Fifteens (if time allows)
- Racing Rules of Sailing
- Powerboat Level 2
You also receive valuable Exposure to:
- Advanced Yacht Care
- Engine Protection
- Propellers and Shafts
- Electrical & Plumbing for Yachts
- Ropes, Rope-work
- Sails and Care of Sails
- Spinnakers & use of Full Suit of Sails
The Flying Fifteen Keelboats (if time allows)
These fast and fun 6m racing yachts ensure that you learn wind awareness, sail trim and boat handling.
A number of past students have written to us and have said that their time on the course was “the best time of my life”.
ENG1 Medical Examination
You should complete this examination well before starting the course to avoid great disappointment if you are not medically fit for duty.
This medical is not included in our course fees.
For more information on ENG1 Medical Click Here.
19 February 2016 - FULL
19 May 2016 - 5 places left START HERE TO QUALIFY IN TIME FOR CARIBBEAN SEASON (20% Discount - Total Course fees R64 940)
28 July 2016 - 5 places left START HERE TO QUALIFY IN TIME FOR CARIBBEAN SEASON (20% Discount - Total Course fees R64 940)
06 October 2016 - 5 places left
15 December 2016 - 5 places left
Should the above dates not suit you, please contact us so we can try to accomodate you in a more convenient time frame.
The 8 Week Coastal Course Fee is:
R 66 000 - Yachtmaster Sailing Course Fees (including RYA Radio, Diesel & Radar Courses)
R 7 900 - STCW Course Fees
R 4 160 - PBII Course Fees
R 1 000 - Online PPR Course Fees
R 79 060 - Total Course Fees incl VAT (Payable to Yachtmaster Sailing School)
Included in the Course fees is:
- All your training and Certificates as listed above including RYA SRC Radio, Diesel and Radar
- Your Personal RYA Logbook and RYA Theory packs
- Use of RYA Reference Books and navigation equipment.
- During the 5 Practical Live-aboard Weeks on the Yachts, your Food, Accommodation & use of Wet Weather Gear is included
Excluded & Extra Over the above fees:
- R 1 800 ENG1 Medical Examination fee payable to the Doctor
- R 5 130 Super Yacht Deck Hand (Recommended 3 day Course)
- RYA Fees are payable direct to RYA
- £ 60 GBP RYA fees for SRC Radio Certificate
- £ 200 GBP RYA fees for Yachtmaster Coastal Examination
- £ 33 GBP RYA fees for STCW / Commercial Endorsement
- Accommodation in Cape Town
During the 3 Theory Weeks, 35 Nights Accommodation On-shore is required in Cape Town.
We can arrange a Backpacker at about R250 per night
Food and Transport is not included
Terms and Conditions apply. We reserve the right to change dates and prices.
Sailing In or From South African Waters
RYA Qualifications are generally accepted throughout the world and are the Preferred Qualification when applying for work overseas or when chartering a boat overseas.
However South African Maritime Authority (SAMSA) do not recognise Royal Yachting Association (RYA) qualifications obtained in South Africa.
Consequently to act as Master of a Yacht in South African waters it is necessary to obtain SA Sailing (SAS) Qualifications.
A SAS Day Skipper Certificate of competence can be obtained as part of this Course at a small additional cost for the SAS Examinations and the SAMSA VHF Radio License.
If you wish to do Commercial Work in South Africa then you will have to do a SAMSA Under 25 ton Commercial License Examination and additional STCW Courses.
We can assist you in this.
Terms and Conditions apply. We reserve the right to change course content, dates and prices.