RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper Practical
The RYA/MCA Coastal Skipper Practical is a Navigational Practical week which builds on the Theoretical knowledge of the RYA Coastal/Offshore Theory week and the Practical aspects of the RYA Day Skipper.
This 6 day live-aboard week covers all aspects of seamanship and boat handling as well as the development of leadership and skippering skills, night sailing and Coastal Navigation.
The course runs from Monday to Saturday and takes place on one of the yachts sailing from either Yachtport, Saldanha Bay or from Royal Cape Yacht Club, Cape Town.
This course is designed to build your ability to skipper a small vessel, less than 24 m or 79 ft and less than 200gt, on coastal passages; to improve your traditional coastal, electronic and radar navigation; your Radar collision avoidance skills and your visual and electronic pilotage skills.
Each student will have a chance to skipper the yacht and will gain night sailing miles, a 60 mile passage and may include one 60 mile passage as the Skipper.
If you are planning on taking your RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper's Exam then you should please see our Upgrade to RYA Yachtmaster™ Coastal and Upgrade to RYA Yachtmaster™ Offshore Pages.
If you would like to build up Skippering Passages and Sailing skills on a Coastal Navigational Passage along the South African Coastline, then please see our Skills Development and Mileage weeks.
The yachts moor in a different location each night, either on different types of moorings or at anchor. Students will go ashore at least once a day at one of the local yacht clubs: Yachtport SA, Langebaan Yacht Club, Saldanha Bay Yacht Club or Royal Cape Yacht Club.
You will receive an RYA Coastal Skipper Practical Course Completion Certificate on successful completion of the course
- Passage planning
- Preparation for sea
- Passage making and ability as skipper
- Yacht handling under power
- Yacht handling under sail
- Adverse weather conditions Emergency situations
The 6 day Coastal Skipper Practical Course Fee is:
R 9 500 - Total Course Fees incl VAT (Payable to Yachtmaster Sailing School)
Included in the Course fees is:
- All your training and Certificate as listed above
- Your Personal RYA Logbook
- Use of RYA Reference Books and navigation equipment.
- Exercise books for notes and sketches
- During the 1 Practical Live-aboard Week on the Yachts, your Food, Accommodation & use of Wet Weather Gear is included
- RYA / MCA Course Completion Certificate
Recommended Additional 1 day Courses:
- R 1 650 - RYA SRC Radio Course + £ 60 GBP RYA Fees for SRC Radio Certificate - RYA fees are paid Directly to the RYA in the UK via Credit Card (if you would like your RYA Radio Cert)
- R 1 650 - RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- R 1 650 - RYA Radar
- 28 November 2016
- 26 December 2016
- 02 January 2017
- 06 February 2017
- 20 February 2017
- 06 March 2017
- 13 March 2017
- 27 March 2017
- 17 April 2017
Should the above dates not suit you, please contact us so we can try to accommodate you in a more convenient time frame.
Once you have completed your RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper Practical, you can either continue with the Exam Preparation & RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Exam or continue your training with the Skills Development & Mileage Practical weeks towards your RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Exam
Terms and Conditions apply. We reserve the right to change course content, dates and prices.