RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore Theory
The RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore Theory course is an Advanced Course in navigation and meteorology.
This 6 day week is for candidates for the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal and Yachtmaster Offshore Certificates.
The course runs from Monday to Saturday in our Classroom at Royal Cape Yacht Club and is taught over 48 hours with two exam papers, normally followed by the RYA Coastal Skipper Practical Course.
The assumed level of knowledge before starting the course is to RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Course standard. Practical sailing skills should be at least to RYA Day Skipper standard.
The syllabus makes some provision for the revision of subjects in the Day Skipper Course, but those who have not acquired the knowledge set out in the Day Skipper Course are unlikely to be able to assimilate all the subjects covered in this advanced course in the time available.
In particular you should revise before attending the Course:
- the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea - COLREGs
- IALA Buoyage
- List of Lights
You will receive an RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Theory Course Completion Certificate on successful completion of the course
- Magnetic Compass
- Tidal Streams
- GPS and Chart Plotters
- Echo Sounders
- Deck Log
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Safety at Sea
- Navigation in Restricted Visibility
- Passage Planning
- Marine Environment
The 6 day RYA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore Theory Course Fees is:
R9 500 - Total Course Fees incl VAT (Payable to Yachtmaster Sailing School)
Included in the Course fees is:
- All your training and Certificate as listed above
- Your RYA Theory pack
- Use of RYA Reference Books and navigation equipment
- Exercise books for notes and sketches
- RYA / MCA Course Completion Certificate
Excluded & Extra Over the above fees:
- Accommodation in Cape Town
During the 1 Theory Week, 10 Nights Accommodation On-shore is required in Cape Town.
We can arrange a Backpacker at about R250 per night
Food and Transport is not included
Recommended Additional 1 day Courses:
- R 1 650 - RYA SRC Radio Course + £ 60 GBP RYA Fees for SRC Radio Certificate - RYA fees are paid Directly to the RYA in the UK via Credit Card (if you would like your RYA Radio Cert)
- R 1 650 - RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- R 1 650 - RYA Radar
17 October 2016
07 November 2016
21 November 2016
Should the above dates not suit you, please contact us so we can try to accommodate you in a more convenient time frame.
Once you have completed your RYA Yachtmaster Theory, the next step is the RYA Coastal Skipper Practical.
Terms and Conditions apply. We reserve the right to change course content, dates and prices.