RYA/MCA Day Skipper Theory
Experience Required: Competent Crew Practical
The RYA/MCA Day Skipper Theory course is an Essential Introductory Course.
This 5 day week will introduce and equip you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day.
The course runs from Monday to Friday in our Classroom at Royal Cape Yacht Club and is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers, normally followed by the RYA Day Skipper Practical Course.
It will introduce you to Chartwork, Navigation, Meteorology and the Basics of Seamanship. It will also introduce you to COLREGS, Tides and Tidal Streams, Passage Planning, Pilotage and the Marine Environment. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
This is an Invaluable Course for those wanting to learn how to start making decisions on board.
You will receive an RYA Day Skipper Theory Course Completion Certificate on successful completion of the course
- Nautical Terms
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Definition of position, course and speed
- Navigational charts and publications
- Navigational drawing instruments
- Tides and tidal streams
- Visual aids to navigation
- Passage planning
- Navigation in restricted visibility
- Marine environment
The 5 day RYA Day Skipper Theory Course Fees is:
R8 100 - Total Course Fees incl VAT (Payable to Yachtmaster Sailing School)
Included in the Course fees is:
- All your training and Certificate as listed above
- Your RYA Theory pack
- Use of RYA Reference Books and navigation equipment
- Exercise books for notes and sketches
- RYA / MCA Course Completion Certificate
Excluded & Extra Over the above fees:
- Accommodation in Cape Town
During the 1 Theory Week, 10 Nights Accommodation On-shore is required in Cape Town.
We can arrange a Backpacker at about R250 per night
Food and Transport is not included
Recommended Additional 1 day Courses:
- R 1 650 - RYA SRC Radio Course + £ 60 GBP RYA Fees for SRC Radio Certificate - RYA fees are paid Directly to the RYA in the UK via Credit Card (if you would like your RYA Radio Cert)
- R 1 650 - RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- R 1 650 - RYA Radar
19 September 2016
03 October 2016
24 October 2016
31 October 2016
28 November 2016
19 December 2016
Should the above dates not suit you, please contact us so we can try to accommodate you in a more convenient time frame.
Once you have completed your RYA Day Skipper Theory, the next step is the RYA Day Skipper Practical.
Our Practical courses will allow you to gain invaluable boat handling skills as well as experience and confidence on our Training Yachts where we introduce you to the proper Practical techniques of managing the Yacht and you will learn the Language of Sail.
Terms and Conditions apply. We reserve the right to change course content, dates and prices.