RYA/MCA Competent Crew Practical
No previous experience required
The RYA/MCA Competent Crew course is an Essential Introductory Course.
This 5 day live-aboard week will introduce the Student to the RYA Training Scheme and to cruising on a Large Keelboat.
The course runs from Monday to Friday and takes place on one of the yachts sailing from either Yachtport, Saldanha Bay or from Royal Cape Yacht Club, Cape Town.
It will ensure a solid foundation to your training in the correct RYA procedures and will teach you personal safety, seamanship and helmsmanship to the level required to be a useful member of the crew of a cruising yacht.
You'll learn about sails - how to put them up, change them, how to Helm, how to come into harbour and moor, tying up, ropes and safety. You’ll be on the helm and learn to recover man overboard while getting used to various nautical terms.
Safety briefings are conducted on board and you are introduced to all the safety equipment, life jackets, life raft and flares.
The yachts moor in a different location each night, either on different types of moorings or at anchor. Students will go ashore at least once a day at one of the local yacht clubs: Yachtport SA, Langebaan Yacht Club, Saldanha Bay Yacht Club or Royal Cape Yacht Club.
You will receive an RYA Competent Crew Practical Course Completion Certificate on successful completion of the course
- Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, her rigging & sails
- Sail handling
- Fire precautions and fighting
- Personal safety equipment
- Man overboard
- Emergency equipment
- Manners and customs
- Rules of the road
- Helmsmanship and sailing
- General duties
The 5 day RYA Competent Crew Practical Course Fee is:
R 7 150 - Total Course Fees incl VAT (Payable to Yachtmaster Sailing School)
Included in the Course fees is:
- All your training and Certificate as listed above
- Your Personal RYA Logbook
- Use of RYA Reference Books and navigation equipment.
- During the 1 Practical Live-aboard Week on the Yachts, your Food, Accommodation & use of Wet Weather Gear is included
- RYA / MCA Course Completion Certificate
Recommended Additional 1 day Courses:
- R 1 650 - RYA SRC Radio Course + £ 60 GBP RYA Fees for SRC Radio Certificate - RYA fees are paid Directly to the RYA in the UK via Credit Card (if you would like your RYA Radio Cert)
- R 1 650 - RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- R 1 650 - RYA Radar
06 June 2016
04 July 2016 (School Holiday Sailing Special - R5 950!)
11 July 2016 (School Holiday Sailing Special - R5 950!)
08 August 2016
15 August 2016
12 September 2016
03 October 2016 (School Holiday Sailing Special - R5 950!)
17 October 2016
24 October 2016
21 November 2016
12 December 2016
19 December 2016
Should the above dates not suit you, please contact us so we can try to accommodate you in a more convenient time frame.
Once you have completed your RYA Competent Crew Practical, the next step is the RYA Day Skipper Theory
Terms and Conditions apply. We reserve the right to change course content, dates and prices.