RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory
This course will enable you to astro-navigate using worldwide meteorology. During this course you will also reveal the mystery of the sextant. By using angles to determine hours, miles and seconds you’ll hone your numerical and technical right hand side of your brain and use it towards becoming a great yachtsman.
What you’ll learn:
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun, star and other sights
- Compass checking
- Satellite Navigation Systems
- Great circle sailing
- Passage planning
- Passage making
Duration: 5 days
Total course fee: R10 500
Fees include: RYA theory packs and certificates.
Fees exclude: Food, accommodation and transport.
Contact us now for course dates and availability.
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Exam
We can arrange for you to do your RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Exam when you are ready.
During the oral test the candidate may be required to answer questions on all aspects of ocean passage making in a yacht, including passage planning, navigation, worldwide meteorology, crew management and yacht preparation, maintenance and repairs.
Pre-exam requirements for RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Oral Exam:
- An RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
(which enables you to skipper a commercial or private vessel on voyages up to 150 miles from a safe port worldwide).
The RYA Coastal Skipper Certificate does NOT qualify.
- An RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Course Completion Certificate
- A 600 mile Continuous Ocean passage acting as skipper or mate of watch, involved in planning and execution of the voyage including selection of the route,the navigational plan, checking the material condition of the yacht and her equipment, storing spare gear, water and victuals and organising the watch-keeping routine;
- During the passage a minimum non-stop distance of 600 miles must have been run by the log, the yacht must have been at sea continuously for at least 96 hours and the yacht must have been more than 50 miles from land while sailing a distance of at least 200 miles.
- All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam.
- All qualifying Mileage must be on a Yacht less than 24 Meters and less than 200 tonnes.
- Sights taken from a yacht at sea, must be a minimum of sun run sun, or sun run meridian passage and a compass check by suns amplitude.
- The sights must have been taken out of sight of land and must have been reduced at sea and used to navigate the vessel.
- Valid STCW First Aid qualification, as for Yachtmaster Offshore
- Log Book to show the Examiner all Qualifying mileage completed.
- 4 Colour Passport size photos
- Credit Card details for RYA Fees
RYA Yachtmaster Examination Fees: (paid Directly to the RYA in the UK via Credit Card)
- £173 GBP - RYA Fees for Yachtmaster Ocean Examination
- £ 33 GBP RYA fees for STCW / Commercial Endorsement