Yachtmaster Ocean Practical Sights
Assumed Knowledge: Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased standard
Duration: 1 or 2 Days, Live aboard, usually a weekend
Location: Cape Town or Saldanha Bay
Authority: RYA / SAS
The aim of the course is to provide the opportunity for Yachtmaster Ocean Theory students to navigate a yacht using only Celestial Navigation to fix position while out of sight of land.
The worked sights and navigation records may be submitted as part of the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate requirements.
Pre-course experience and knowledge required
- Theoretical knowledge to Yachtmaster Ocean Theory Standard.
- Practical ability to take and reduce sights while ashore.
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate.
- An Ocean Passage as Skipper or Mate.
- Passage plan
- Plotting a course to steer, dead reckoning and estimated position.
- Keeping Navigational records.
- Noon sights
- Sun sights and sun-run-sun fix.
- Moon sights
- Planet sights and planet recognition.
- Preplanning star sights and star recognition
- Star sights.
- Compass check by azimuth and amplitude.
- Reduction of sights.
- Plotting of position lines and fixing position
The 1 day Ocean Sights Practical Course Fee is:
R 3 150 - Total Course Fees incl VAT (Payable to Yachtmaster Sailing School)
Please note that we require a minimum of 2 Students to run this course at these fees.
Included in the Course fees is:
- All your training as listed above
- Your Personal Ocean Wetnotes book
- Use of RYA Reference Books and navigation equipment.
- Exercise books for notes and sketches
- During the 1 Practical on the Yachts, your Food, Accommodation & use of Wet Weather Gear is included
Recommended Additional Courses:
- R 7 950 - RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory
Please email us for dates.
The Ocean Sights can follow on the weekend after the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory, or can be arranged separately